Livestock Insurance

By mmuise

The Livestock Insurance Program is designed to provide insurance to compensate Newfoundland and Labrador producers for the death or injury of sheep, goats, dairy cattle or beef cattle caused by dogs or other predators. Producers, who register their animals for insurance prior to April 1 of each year and who pay the insurance premiums, are covered until March 31 in the event any of their animals are killed or severely injured (need to be put down) by a predator.

Comments on Funding:

No other details available.

Deadline: April 1 (annually)

Applicants must be Newfoundland and Labrador livestock producers.

Application Steps:

Applicants must submit the completed applications accompanied by premiums to the Livestock Owners Compensation Board's Corner Brook office by April 1.

When the completed application is received by the Board, a "Contract of Insurance" is issued to the livestock owner. The contract outlines the responsibilities and duties of both the livestock owner and the Board. It also lists all livestock insured under the contract upon certification of ear tag numbers or registration papers by Board representatives.

Newly purchased livestock must be insured within 30 days of purchase. Proof of purchase (i.e. receipt) will be required. Lambs must be insured within 30 days after birth.

Documentation Needed:

Applicants must submit:
1. the completed application,
2. premiums in order for the insurance to take effect.
To initiate a claim, the livestock owner must:
1. officially report the loss to the Board or any of Agrifood's designated staff at a local Agriculture Office within 48 hours of the discovery of the attack,
2. complete a "Notice of Livestock Loss or Injury" and "Request for Inspection". The carcass of any animal destroyed must be produced as well as the ear tag as evidence in order for insurance to be paid. When the Board receives notification of loss, a Board representative completes a "Claim and Inspection Report".
3. complete an "Affidavit" and have it notarized by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, or an official with Agrifoods, after an inspection has been completed. The Board will then review the claim and make its decision.

Other Things to Note:


About the author

Similar Posts