Heart of the City Program: Municipal Planning/Development Fees Grant

By mmuise

A landowner upgrading or redeveloping a property can receive full reimbursement for such items as an Official Plan/ Zoning Amendments and Building Permits.

Comments on Funding:

The landowner pays for all planning and development approval/permit costs. These costs, in their entirety, are reimbursed to the landowner, in the form of a grant, based on the following schedule:
1. Official Plan Amendments at building permit;
2. Zoning By-Law Amendment at building permit;
3. Combined OPA/Rezoning at building permit;
4. Site Plan Control grant at time of application;
5. Minor Variance Application/Consent to Sever at building permit;
6. Plan of Subdivision at draft approval. Also, may include a portion of applicable City Engineering Fee Costs;
7. Plan of Condominium at draft approval;
8. Building Permit Fees at occupancy permit; and
9. Demolition Permit Fees at time of demolition.
(NOTE: fees are subject to change on an annual basis.)

Rebate is limited to 100% of the fees listed above and excludes any and all other fees, charges and costs incurred by the applicant in securing the required Planning and Building approvals/permits.

Deadline: Continuous Intake

Applicants must be land owners upgrading or redeveloping properties in the central core, or “Heart of the City”. These areas include the downtown business district (Pitt Street and adjacent roadways) along with the Le Village shopping district.

Application Steps:

Application steps:

1. Consultation Meeting

a) Call or email to set up an initial meeting with Dana McLean, development Coordinator to discuss applicant's property and building renovations, the application process, timelines and identify any additional requirements, such as building permits.

b) If applicant's plans for renovation require architectural plans for a building permit, he can submit a request for funding for the design fees.

c) A list of qualified professionals will be provided to help applicants choose a designer/architect/ engineer depending on their needs.

2. Concept Plans and estimates

a) Once applicants have their concept design plans, they can contact contractors to ask them to provide estimates for each of the areas of work based on the finalized plans, such as windows, store front and interior renovations which may include electrical and plumbing.

b) Staff will help applicants meet with other city departments for any additional requirements, such as permits.

c) Once you have the estimates you may apply for funding for the renovation work.

3. Submit application

a)The application is reviewed by the Cornwall Planning Programs evaluation group (CPPEG), at the beginning of the month.

b) CPPEG then makes a recommendation for your application and it is presented to the Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) mid-month for approval.

c) The recommended approval then proceeds to City Council for final approval for the funding request.

4. Funding approval

a) Any work started prior to the final approval by City Council is not eligible for funding.

b) Grant funding may be dispersed through a request for progress payments or when work is completed and a final inspection has been received.

Documentation Needed:

Applicants must submit with their application:
1. the concept/design plans;
2. estimates for each of the areas of work based on the finalized plans.
3. copy of their most current tax receipt;
4. a Letter of Authorization from the Registered Owner(s) MUST accompany this request indicating support for the subject Applicant(s) to proceed accordingly, if the Applicant(s) is not the Registered Owner(s) of the Property subject to this HOTC Program Application.

Other Things to Note:


About the author